At some point in everyone's life, a little concrete must fall. In fact, concrete is the most common building material in the world. Here's what you need to know about ready-mix concrete.
What is concrete?
Concrete is a mix of several different materials including stone, called aggregate, cement, and sand. The exact 'recipe' of the mixture is altered slightly depending on where and how the concrete is being used.
What is ready-mix concrete?
Ready-mix concrete is a type of concrete that is pre-mixed and then delivered to the worksite by truck.
Do the ready-mix concrete trucks need to keep turning?
Yes, the trucks really do need to keep turning so that the concrete doesn't set in the truck.
How much time do the delivery drivers have?
The drivers have a limited amount of time to deliver the concrete before it starts to set. The exact amount of time depends on the type of mix and the weather conditions that day. In hot weather, the ready-mix concrete dries faster.
What are the benefits of ready-mix concrete?
There are many benefits of ready mix concrete including the following:
- Consistent. Ready-mix concrete is consistently strong and durable.
- Flexible. Ready-mix concrete can be used in a variety of applications.
- No waste. There is very little waste when using ready-mix concrete since the exact amount is mixed and then delivered to the worksite.
- Less labor. Ready-mix concrete requires less labor to install since it does not need to be mixed on-site.
- Less waste. There is little to no waste with ready mix concrete as the exact amount needed is mixed.
- Efficient. Ready-mix concrete is a time-saving and efficient option.
Additionally, ready mix concrete is convenient. No one has to mix up batches. It is delivered and ready to go.
What should you know about ready-mix concrete?
There are a few things you should know about ready-mix concrete before using it The specific mix that you and your contractor select will be determined by the intended use of the concrete on your project.
Additionally, the contractor and their crew need to be ready to go when the ready-mix concrete is delivered. Ready-mix concrete needs to be used within a certain time frame or it will start to set. If the weather is hot, the concrete will dry set even faster, which can reduce the overall strength of the concrete.
That said, ready-mix concrete is a time-saving and efficient option with many benefits.